The Best Compact Camera
To help you find the perfect anti vibration glove, we continuously put forth the effort to update and expand our list of recommendable compact cameras. Our team collects, edits and publishes new information, in order to present it to you in an accurate, significant and neatly arranged way.
8 Compact Camera Alternatives
Table of Contents
That's what we're here to find out. But before we get to the meat and potatoes, you need to know what's on the menu - what you should consider when looking to buy a compact camera.
Are you well-versed in camera usage (or ready to throw yourself headlong into learning to become a master photographer)? Perhaps you could try out a camera with manual controls for the shutter and aperture. These cameras typically display these features with either a physical dial that can be turned from Tv (Shutter Priority, for shutter speed), Av (for Aperture Priority, for deciding on aperture), or M (Full manual control). This dial typically also holds your auto options and scene modes. Certain models of camera may also have digital menus which can be navigated to present this information and these settings, rather than a physical dial. Again, this is up to preference.
Are you an amateur, or maybe just looking for a camera you can have in the hand and ready in a matter of seconds? Then you needn't worry much about a bevy of manual control options. Rather, just find a camera you feel comfortable with and maybe few good automatic presets.
Next, consider the shots you'll be taking. Are you going for distance, are you going for speed? Depending your needs, your lenses and your cameras aperture are going to need to be different. For longer-range shooting, a longer, higher-magnification zoom lens is your best shot. If you're going for wider and more close-range shots, as well as a camera quicker and lighter on the draw, you're probably looking for a shorter lens. Low-light shooting, or going for a good depth of field effect? Perhaps a camera with a wider aperture (denoted by numbers like f/3.5-5.6 for a zoom lens, or a single number for a prime lens) may be best for you!
Finally, how will you be displaying your images?All compact cameras output in the standard .JPEG image format for easy digital storage and transfer, but if you're planning on being serious with your photography (especially with a manual-control camera) it is recommended to see about maybe finding a camera that has raw output options. Raw output means you get what is essentially a digital negative that you can tweak and edit to your desire.
Now that you have all that food for thought, it's best to look at some recommendations that may fit your needs and preferences. Remember that there is no definitive 'best' choice.
GordVE KG15172 2.7inch 18MP Mini Digital Camera 8x Digital Zoom Red Color
- Pho Tags Express software for managing and enhanceing your photos,printing,sending photos by e-mails and much more.
- Face Detection
- Smile Capture
- Continue Shot
- Built in Flash
This entry-level camera is an affordable beginning for anyone looking to get a good shot in!
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS 12MP Digital Camera with 2.8-Inch LCD (Black)
- Bright 2.8-inch Vari-angle LCD with 461,000 dots plus electronic viewfinder
- 12.1 megapixel high-sensitivity CMOS sensor
- DIGIC 5 image processor
- 50x optical zoom (24-1200mm) and 24mm wide-angle lens with Optical Image Stabilizer
This Canon camera is a more serious piece of hardware with the beefy specs and capabilities in both photo and video modes to back them up!
Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ70 16.1 MP Digital Camera with 60x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 3-Inch LCD (Black)
- Category class leading 60X optical zoom (20mm-1200mm)
- Full 1080/60i HD Panasonic Video recording with auto focus
- Zoom focused Dolby quality sound recording
Another heavyweight contender, this more affordable option carries a great level of features for an incredible pricetag!
Leica D-Lux (Type 109) 12.8 Megapixel Digital Camera with 3.0-Inch LCD (Black) (18471)
- Fixed lens perfectly matched to the sensor
- Integrated high resolution 2.8 MP OLED EVF for full control of the presets
- Comprehensive manual operation
- Focus peaking for marking the areas that are in focus and LEICA CF D flash in the scope of delivery
This high-price option carries with it the kind of quality that, if you are serious about a fix-lense camera, is hard to pass up.
Nikon Coolpix S7000 16 MP Digital Camera with 20x Optical IS Zoom, 3-Inch LCD, Black (Certified Refurbished)
- This Certified Refurbished product is tested and certified to look and work like new.
- 0x optical zoom and 40x with Dynamic Fine Zoom
- Target Finding AF for accurate, intelligent autofocus. Full HD 1080/60i videos with stereo sound
- 18 Scene Modes. HDMI, USB ports. Compact Size only 5.9 OZ with batteries
- Built-in Wi-Fi and Near Field Communication
Nikon has always been a heavy hitter in the camera game, and this affordable but high-quality compact camera shows why.
Sony DSC-RX100/B 20.2 MP Exmor CMOS Sensor Digital Camera with 3.6x Zoom
- 20.2 MP, Exmor CMOS Sensor, 28-100mm equivalent F/1.8-4.9 lens, ISO 125-6400 Expandable ISO 80, 100, and 25,600, 3-Inch LCD screen with 1.2M dots
- 1080p video, Steady-Shot image stabilization,Rear control dial and customizable front control ring
- Burst Mode (shots)-Approx.10 fps,(VGA) Moving Image Size -640x480 30fps Approx.3Mbps
- Bright F1.8 Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T lens with 3.6x zoom, Full HD 1080/60p video with manual control and dual record,
A formidable entry, this Sony camera comes with it all!This guide and these recommendations are but a starting point to what may potentially be a great and long journey into photography!
Top Rated Compact Cameras
If you're looking into finding the best rated compact camera, you should probable check out the Sony Alpha a6000 Mirrorless Digital Camera. We looked at various sources of reviews and found this one to have the best mix between review count and average rating stars.
The Lowest Price We Could Find
Often, going for the best price is a simple but good option. With a price of $109.00 (last checked this morning), we do not list any other compact camera cheaper than the Canon PowerShot ELPH 180 Digital Camera. Just remember that it's not always the best option to go for the cheapest one.
The Compact Camera With the Most Reviews
With at least 1468 reviews and counting, the Sony Alpha a6000 Mirrorless Digital Camera might be another option to consider. This large amount of reviews signalizes that many people are using it, with most of them beeing satisfied.
High Quality Compact Cameras
It's quite rare that the saying "You get what you pay for" turns out incorrect. If you have the money on the sideline, feel free to choose the most expensive item from our list: The Leica D-Lux 12.8 Megapixel Digital Camera currently sells for $1349.00.
The Compact Camera With the Most Clicks
If you trust us and our users, feel free to check out the Leica D-Lux 12.8 Megapixel Digital Camera. Our statistics say that it is the most favorite Compact Camera from the list above.
If you're still undecided, I would recommend that you go with the masses and choose the top selling compact camera: The Leica D-Lux 12.8 Megapixel Digital Camera is the hottest bestseller in this category right now.
Compact Camera Reviews
Compact Cameras on Instagram
Top Posts for #compactcamera
New Posts for #compactcamera
Further Reading on Compact Cameras
About this Article
It was last updated on and has been viewed 320 times.