The Best Drafting Chair
To help you find the perfect drafting chair, we continuously put forth the effort to update and expand our list of recommendable drafting chairs. Our team collects, edits and publishes new information, in order to present it to you in an accurate, significant and neatly arranged way.
Runner-ups: 10 Best Drafting Chair Alternatives
Table of Contents
Buying Guide for Drafting Chairs
Flash Furniture LF-215-BLK-GG Vibrant Black and Chrome Drafting Stool with Tractor Seat :
Black Patterned Fabric Ergonomic Drafting Chair with Height Adjustable Arms:
Boss Office Products B16210-BE DOT Drafting Stool:
OneSpace 60-1018 Medical/Drafting Stool:
Office Star Pneumatic Drafting Chair:
Flash Furniture LF-215-BLK-GG Vibrant Black and Chrome Drafting Stool:
Boss Office Products B1616-BK Ergonomic Works Drafting Chair with Adjustable Arms in Black:
Office Star Deluxe Mesh Back Drafting Chair with 20" Diameter Adjustable Footring, Black Fabric Seat:
Boss Office Products B16240-BK Be Well Medical Spa Drafting Sool in Black:
Safco Products 3442BL Metro Extended Height Chair:
Modway Veer Drafting Chair:
Guide to Buying a Drafting Chair
Drafting chairs are used by cartographers and artists in conjunction with a drafting table. Drafting tables are able to be moved to various heights and angles through front and back tilt motion and up and down height adjustments. The drafting chair complements such tables by allowing a person to increase the height of the chair more than the typical office chair is capable of doing.
Using a drafting chair with a drafting table will help you to find a position which matches the height of your table and make for a more comfortable experience while sitting for long hours working. Using a regular office chair, while definitely possible, isn't likely to provide the right kind of back and seat support that will allow you to comfortably sit upright and access the large surface area of the drafting table. Drafting chairs can minimize the amount of time you sit slouched over the table with a bent back while working.
In this guide we'll talk about what to look for in a good drafting chair. There are different types of chairs which can range in style from those which are essentially modified stools with good seat support to cushioned seats with back and arm rests.
What Features to Look for in a Good Drafting Chair:
• What Type of Seat is Most Comfortable for You: The amount of comfort provided by a seat is the main factor to consider when deciding what to buy. If you're going to sit for the better part of a day in the chair, you may want to consider a seat which has a back rest, ample cushioning and arm rests. If you work for only a few hours at a time, a drafting stool may suit your needs just fine.
• Swiveling and Wheels: Purchasing a drafting chair that easily swivels from side to side is ideal for you if you have multiple tables that you need use while working. Similarly, if your work areas are separated by some distance, wheels will make it convenient to move your chair without having to lift it up on a constant basis.
• Back Support: One of the major benefits to using a drafting chair is that it can offer you better support to improve your posture when sitting for long periods of time. Some drafting chairs are high-backed with a head rest and are ideal for lengthy blocks of time in a sitting position. Others have a lower back that still provides good support, but may become uncomfortable after hours of sitting. Stools take up little space and can save you money, but aren't recommended for long work days.
• Arm Rests: Arm rests give your arms a place to relax. Look for arm rests that are adjustable to your body type. If the arm rests are too high for you, it raises your shoulders and can cause pain over time due to poor posture in your back and arms. If you work for long periods, consider getting a drafting chair with arm rests to relax your arms.
• Cushioning and Material: Proper cushioning in a chair is of key importance in having a comfortable experience while sitting. People can have differing opinions on what they find comfortable. If you can, try sitting in some different types of chairs to find what works best for you. Drafting chairs can come with cloth cushioning on both the seat and back, have a mesh fabric which provides breathability to help prevent sweat from building up in hot environments, or a combination of the two.
• Adjustments: Drafting chairs come with some of the most customizable adjustment options available in a chair. The tilt between forward and back and the height can be adjusted in a good drafting chair. Sometimes the foot rest can also be adjusted, as well as the arm rests if the chair has them.
What to Expect for Your Price Range:
The amount of money you're willing to pay for a drafting chair can depend on a number of factors. If you'll be using the chair often and for long periods of time, such as for your day job, you won't regret spending some extra cash for a chair that has high quality and extra features. If you'll be using the chair casually, such as for a personal hobby, and won't be sitting down in it all day, you might be fine purchasing a less expensive chair. Here are some of the things you might get in a drafting chair within the range of your personal budget.
• High End: Frequently using your drafting chair will wear it down quickly. Buying a more expensive chair can get you a product with superior materials and craftsmanship that will last for a longer period of time. A higher cash investment up front can actually save you money by making a necessary chair replacement less frequent. High end chairs can also come with high backs and meshing which can let air flow through the back and seat, keeping you cool while you work. These chairs can cost well over a hundred dollars or more.
• Budget Brands: The least expensive drafting chairs are often the stool variety or may offer only a small back rest and no arm rests. They may contain cheaper seat materials and have more plastic parts present in the base and wheels. If you find yourself on a strict budget and only need a chair to use for short intervals of time, you may decide on a budget conscious drafting chair. The price on these chairs can be fifty dollars or less up to around seventy-five dollars.
• Balanced: A balanced chair combines the features of a high end chair with the affordability of the lower-end chairs. Stools can be made of a higher quality material which will be more resistant to tears and wear. Chairs with backs may have a sturdier and larger surface area that supports your back better. This price range of chairs may also include some higher quality parts such as chrome in place of plastic.
The most important thing to consider when deciding on the features you'll need in a drafting chair is the amount of time you plan to spend sitting in it. If your job requires you to use the chair for long periods of time, you may want to invest in a high end chair that has features that can maximize your comfort and prevent painful back problems in the future.
Those who'll be casually using the chair for short periods of time would likely be fine with a balanced or budget-minded chair or stool which can provide the comfort and potentially good posture you need for the shorter time span.
While the amount of money you can afford to spend is important, whether or not the chair will provide the back support and comfort that will help you avoid health problems over time should take precedence.
Choosing the right drafting chair will help prevent problems that may arise from bad posture. Finding the right features in a chair will give you the comfort you need to inspire productivity and help you sit for longer periods of time doing what you love.
Top Rated Drafting Chairs
If you're looking into finding the best rated drafting chair, you should probable check out the Smugdesk Chair. We looked at various sources of reviews and found this one to have the best mix between review count and average rating stars.
Often, going for the best price is a simple but good option. With a price of $65.92 (last checked on August 20, 2019), we do not list any other drafting chair cheaper than the Boss Office B1615-BK Ergonomic Works Chair. Just remember that it's not always the best option to go for the cheapest one.
The Drafting Chair with the Most Reviews
With at least 674 reviews and counting, the BestOffice Chair might be another option to consider. This large amount of reviews signalizes that many people are using it, with most of them beeing satisfied.
It's quite rare that the saying "You get what you pay for" turns out incorrect. If you have the money on the sideline, feel free to choose the most expensive item from our list: The Homevol Ergonomic Swivel Chair currently sells for $225.00.
Most Clicked Drafting Chair
If you trust us and our users, feel free to check out the BestOffice Chair. Our statistics say that it is the most favorite Drafting Chair from the list above.
If you're still undecided, I would recommend that you go with the masses and choose the top selling drafting chair: The Boss Office B1615-BK Ergonomic Works Chair for currently View on Amazon (last checked on August 20, 2019).
That's it for now, please remember that this list is updated on a regular basis.
Drafting Chair Reviews
There are no reviews for Drafting Chair, yet.
Be the first to write one, or check for additional reviews in the next section below.
Share your opinion on Drafting Chair
#draftingchair on Instagram
Further Reading on Drafting Chairs
Do Your Own Research
… piece of furniture. In the former arrangement, the drawers tend to obstruct the movement of the draftsperson's legs, especially when the draftsperson is sitting upon a drafting chair having an elevated seat. Placement of the drawers …