The 10 Best Potato Ricers
Our Picks in Detail
If you have any questions regarding an item, please refer to our comments section for this article.
13 Best Potato Ricer Alternatives
Potato Ricer Buying Guide
If you have any sort of kitchen tool in your home, you should be looking to a potato ricer. For many, this is the perfect way to get incredible mashed potatoes every single time. As a matter of fact, many people are just amazed at just how easy a potato ricer is to use and how ultra smooth the texture comes out once you use it. It is even faster than trying to use a manual masher or any sort of electric mixer when you are making mashed potatoes for any recipe or mealtime.
To make it even better for you, there happens to be a wide variety of potato ricers available on the market today that are simple and make very light work of your preparation time for items like latkes, pierogies, colcannon and so much more. There are even a number of moms and dads that love to have a quality potato ricer tool on hand so that they can puree a variety of cooked or soft fruits for fresh, easy baby foods for their little ones. If you are someone who likes to make your own jams and sauces, then this is a tool that you simply must have on hand at all times. It is simply a matter of picking out the perfect potato ricer too to measure up to your needs before investing.
How To Choose The Perfect Potato Ricer To Meet Your Needs?
When you are getting ready to mash potatoes, there will be two distinct advantages to using a potato ricer of any other kind of tool that you may have available. These advantages are:
- A potato ricer is a tool that is designed to mash potatoes while leaving all of the skins behind. Yes, you read that right. You will never have to go through with peeling a potato for mashed potatoes ever again when you have a good potato ricer in your hand. This means that you can go about making your potatoes and you are not going to have to peel them at all before you boil them.
- The potato ricer is also going to give you a result that is much fluffier and lighter than any other method for making mashed potatoes, hands down. When you use the ricer, it works to press down the cooked potatoes into tiny, velvety particles so that you end up with no peels in the final result and a texture that is very smooth and less gummy.
So, yes, there is a major difference between mashed and riced potatoes, but why is this really important? The truth is that all you have to do is try it out yourself and you will easily see what the difference in. Lighter. Fluffier. Better. That is all there is to it.
While a potato ricer is a tool that works by separating pieces, when you mash them you end up pressing them together. For most people, mashed potatoes are the kind of side that you cannot go wrong with, especially if you have them smothered by butter, warm gravy, or even a dollop of sour cream. However, when you have the lighter texture of the mashed potatoes after using a ricer, this is a real treat that you will want to duplicate from here on out. Besides, if you are able to skip out on the peeling of the potatoes first? This is really a winning situation for every home cook!
What Else Can You Use A Potato Ricer For?
You can rest assured in knowing that after you do your research on potato ricers and you have one in your possession, that mashed potatoes are not the only thing that you can use them for. A quality potato ricer can easily be used for smashing the fruits for jams and causes, to use for canning certain fruits and vegetables, and so much more. You could have a family member who is in need of eating soft foods for a while, where the potato ricer will become a very valuable tool to have on hand. Before you know it, you will be using this handy gadget in a wide variety of your recipes. For example, you can use it to press down grated potatoes to take out all of the excess water so that you can have hash browns that are a whole lot crispier once you cook them.
What Do I Need To Look For In A Potato Ricer?
If you are seriously considering buying a potato ricer, there are a few questions that you need to think about asking yourself, including:
- How sturdy is it? – There are actually potato ricers in different sizes and made from different materials, so you need to find one that is good and sturdy to hold up to regular use.
- How much am I going to be using it? – If you are someone that rarely mashes potatoes, or you are only going to be mashing a few at a time, you can get by with picking out a smaller or less expensive potato ricer model.
- How large is the hopper? – If you end up with a hopper that is too small, you are going to have to cut your potatoes into smaller chunks when you get ready to mash them.
- How much will I be willing to spend? – As mentioned before, if you are not someone that mashes potatoes that often, you can get by with spending less on a potato ricer. However, if you do want to have a quality too regardless, you can think about spending a bit more.
The following is a list of some of the top potato ricers that are available on the market today:
PriorityChef Potato Ricer and Masher – This is an option made of 100% stainless steel that will help you to make light and fluffy mashed potato perfection every time. It is designed with efficiency and comfort in mind, including long handles for an easy grip and good leverage for squeezing. Dishwasher safe, handle cushions and will never rust from exposure to moisture.
Culina Potato Ricer – This option is a great value, as you get both a potato ricer and a garlic press in a set. You have two blades with the ricer so that you can get a coarse or fine texture. Comes in a ready to gift box, crafted from strong, fortified plastic and offers a good bit of leverage.
Norpro 469 Deluxe Jumbo Potato Ricer – This is a jumbo-sized tool that is nice for a commercial kitchen space or a family that is always making mashed potatoes in large amounts. Perforations on all sides make ricing quicker, and it is also good for squeezing your citrus fruits. The gadget is crafted from cast aluminum and has sturdy metal handles as well as a bowl rest at the tip.
Bellemain Premium Potato Ricer – This option allows you to quickly prep any chef-inspired cuisine with the durable stainless steel body and easy grip red silicone on the handles for a non-slip texture. You also have three different interchangeable blades for any texture you want. Made from high-quality components for light and fluffy potatoes, complete with a 100% money back guarantee.
Chef'n FreshForce Potato Ricer Press – This tool includes a gear-like mechanism designed to give better leverage while minimizing hand strain so you can make more food with less fatigue. Such a gadget is a good choice for kids who may want to help with meal prep time and the basket also removes for ease of cleaning.
Casaffetto Potato Ricer – This is a versatile option that you can use on everything from potatoes to pumpkins, cauliflower to fruits and more. You get restaurant quality results with included recipe ideas and a handle that has comfortable finger contours for a nice grip. Great for the home chef.
Whether you are looking for a traditionally styled potato ricer, or you want to find one with all of the bells and whistles to include different attachments, you will find many options online. All you have to do is narrow down your search by the price point that you are looking for along with the different features or materials that you would like in the product. Before you know it, you will be creating countless dishes with perfectly mashed potatoes or any other foods you see fit!