The 10 Best Wheelchairs
Our Picks in Detail
If you have any questions regarding an item, please refer to our comments section for this article.
* Last update of prices was on 2019-01-20 10:03:21 via PA API. Prices or conditions may have changed in the meantime.
13 Best Wheelchair Alternatives
Wheelchair Buying Guide
2. The Medline Transport wheelchair is an ideal choice for anyone moving around in rougher terrains. This model comes with larger rear wheels that make it easier to move around on uneven surfaces. The handbrakes on the top allow for quicker stops. The powder coated aluminum frame is easy to transport because it is lightweight and durable. This model even comes with a seatbelt adding an extra component of safety. The nylon padding of the seat is easy to clean and provides comfort to the user. The footrests are detachable so the user has complete control to change them to fit their needs and preference. This model comes in at $125. This is the perfect chair for anyone who is using their chair on rough surfaces and wants to maintain safety at all times.
3. This Drive Medical model comes with detachable desk arms and swing-away footrests so that the user can completely customize them to their needs at the time. The 18-inch seat provides comfort all day due to its ergonomic design. The tires are designed to withstand wear and tear and have a push-to-lock function for safety. The nylon seat is easy to clean up. This model comes in just under $107. This is the perfect chair for anyone who wants an easy to maintain chair that creates lasting comfort for its user.
4. This Invacare model is a lightweight model that is easily transportable thanks to its construction. This model has a brake extension handle allowing for easy braking and the footrests, that have a swing-away capability, create comfortability for the user throughout the day. It also comes with removable arms and seat padding so the user can completely customize the chair to their liking. This model comes in just under $150. This is perfect for anyone who needs an easy to transport chair that does not sacrifice on comfortability.
5. The Nova model is a durable wheelchair that is capable of making it through rough and uneven terrains. Due to its Feather Touch locking hand brakes it makes it easier to navigate bumpy surfaces. The moveable desk arms make it easy to transform the arms into a desk or table to meet the user's needs at all times. The chair also comes with removable footrests and a seatbelt to add another measure of safety for the user. This model comes in at $260. This is the perfect chair for anyone who plans on being rough on their chair and has an active lifestyle that needs a chair to accommodate that.
6. This Karman model is the lightweight coming in at only 27 pounds making it easier to move and transport than other models. The seats and cushions are removable making it easier to clean and get rid of any germs to ensure that the seats are clean for the user. The seat is not just easier to clean but also is created using anti-bacterial technology and stain resistance material. The ergonomic seat profits long-lasting comfort to the user during all day use and lessens the chance of injuries and medical issues caused from long hours of sitting. This is the perfect wheelchair for people who will be in the chair for extended time periods, or for people who need a chair that eliminates germ problems if the user has any type of immune issues.
Buying a wheelchair is not the easiest thing. There are many issues surrounded by wheelchairs that the buyer must be aware of before deciding which one is the best fit. There are key things that must be looked at when buying a wheelchair.
What type of wheelchair to you need? Are you looking for a transport wheelchair, meaning that the chair will be pushed by someone else instead of the user. Many models come with the dual capabilities, meaning they can be pushed by a companion or maneuvered by the user itself, a manual wheelchair. That being said there may be a need to have a chair that is only moveable by another person.
How often and how long will the chair be used? Another thing to think about is the amount of time the person will spend in the chair. Some chairs are only designed for short uses. Other chairs are designed to keep the user comfortable during extended uses. So keep these things in mind when deciding what type of chair you will need.
What type of surface will the chair be used on? If they chair is going to be used on uneven and rough surfaces, then it necessary to get a chair that can handle these circumstances. Some chairs are not designed to handle these types of surfaces and maneuvering on them will be nearly impossible. So decide what type of surface the chair will be used on.
What size seat will you need? There are different seat sizes that support different size bodies and weight limits. Make sure that the wheelchair you use fits the weight and size requirements that are needed. Having a chair that fits this requirement is necessary to ensure safety and comfortability to the user.
Who will be carrying the chair? Moving the chair and taking it place to place will be done by someone other than the user. So keep that in mind when shopping for a chair. Make sure to pick a chair that can be easily carried and maneuvered by the person who will be transporting it and handling it.
How much are you able to spend on it? Budget always comes into play when deciding what to buy. Wheelchairs come at many different costs so there will be one to fit everyone's budget. Keep the list of must-haves in mind when shopping so that you can make sure that you get the type of chair you need at a cost you can afford.
Buying a wheelchair is a big decision. To ensure that you get everything you need out of the chair make sure that you find a chair that meets all of your needs. There are many different chairs out there, some with special features and designs and capabilities that might be necessary for the user. Just be cautious of what you need and what you can afford so that you make the best decision possible when searching for the perfect wheelchair.
More Research on Wheelchairs
Wheelchair Related Video: SmartDrive Power Assist for Manual Wheelchairs
In this video I discuss the SmartDrive power assist motor made by MAX Mobility. This motor provides power assistance to most manual wheelchairs and will ...