The Best Keg Tap
To help you find the perfect keg tap, we continuously put forth the effort to update and expand our list of recommendable keg taps. Our team collects, edits and publishes new information, in order to present it to you in an accurate, significant and neatly arranged way.
8 Keg Tap Alternatives
Table of Contents
Home Brewing as an Art Form
Home beer brewing has become much more popular in recent years and with good reason. If you can easily create your own delicious brews of beer right inside your own home, why wouldn't you, right? Home brewing is often pursued as an art form, as there is a learning curve and well deserved bragging rights that come along with the territory.
Alternatively, perhaps brewing your own beer at home is not currently a passion of yours and you simply want to keep commercially purchased beer on tap in your home bar. With either of these goals you will need a quality beer keg tap to get the job done. This guide is designed to help you choose the correct beer keg tap system for your specific needs, taking the guesswork out of the process.
Components of a Restaurant Worthy Beer Tap System
The quality of the keg tap system you purchase can mean the difference between overly carbonated beer that is unbearable to drink or beer that tastes dull and flat by the end of the party. Neither of those things are desirable qualities in a tall, cold glass of beer, and the result will depend in large part on your ability to choose the right keg tap for your needs.
No matter what system you choose, there are 6 main components to a beer keg tap system and you'll need them all in great working order to keep that cold, refreshing beer flowing. Those 6 vital parts are as follows:
* Cooler - This one's fairly self-explanatory. Quite simply, without a proper cooler, you'll be drinking warm beer. The commonly available larger coolers serve the dual function of chilling your beer, as well as providing a housing area for the coupler and gas to be stored.
* Keg - If you've ever been to a frat party in college, you're all too familiar with the standard issue beer keg. They typically come in three sizes: 5 gallon, 7.75 gallon, and 15.5 gallon. Each model has an entry opening where the tubing supplying the CO2 will be placed, and an exit opening where the faucet will dispense your favorite brew.
* Coupler - The coupler is small but it's a pretty important part of the equation since it connects the tube that carries the gas and the tube that delivers your tasty brew. The handle to the coupler is responsible for releasing the component that delivers gas to the beer, creating your perfect bubbly brew each and every time you use it.
* Gas - No one likes flat, lifeless beer, so the addition of gas is a pretty vital component to this equation. A proper gas outfitter for your beer keg tap system utilizes CO2 and Nitrogen tanks with a regulator that controls the pressure of each, adding the exact amount of gas needed for perfect carbonation every time.
* Tubing - Quality tubing is vital because it will have an immediate and direct bearing on the taste quality of your brew. Tubing should be made from polyethylene or vinyl so that the tubing itself doesn't impart an unwanted plastic flavor to your brew.
* Faucet - The faucet is quite simply your delivery system, the way your favorite brew leaves the keg and makes it's entrance into you and your guests drinking glasses. Faucets can be simple or elegant, depending on your specific desires. You can also purchase unique or handmade faucets, making them a great conversation starter at your next party or event.
Considerations When Purchasing & Setting Up Your Beer Keg Tap
We know you're eager to get started delivering tasty brews to your party guests, but there are a few things to keep in mind as you plan your beer keg tap purchase. Here are a few basic tips that can make this process easier for you.
Location, Location, Location
We've heard it said about real estate, but it's true also for planning the purchase of your beer keg tap. Location is vital, so be aware of any space limitations where you plan to set up your beer keg system. Some models require more ventilation than others, and storing them underneath a bar counter can cause them to overheat and malfunction, unless this area has plenty of circulating air. And it goes without saying, it's important to purchase the right size keg for your location so that it fits properly and doesn't take up too much space needed for other things.
Keep the Lines Flowing
When purchasing your tubing and gas line, you will want to ensure that it is long enough to meet your needs and to also add quality to the taste of your brew.
Your gas line needs to be a minimum of three feet in length so that is is equipped to handle the pressure of the gas flowing through it properly. Additionally, your tubing should be at least five feet in length, as this helps maintain the proper amount of foam achieved in your brew.
Plan for Necessary Modifications
You may find it necessary to make modifications to your cooler unit in order for it to be able to accommodate your faucet and tower properly. If these accommodations require you to drill holes in your unit, you will want to plan accordingly and be sure you avoid any of the components of the cooler to prevent damaging them and possibly needing to purchase new parts.
Proper Cleaning and Sanitizing Practices
After purchasing all of your parts for your new keg tap system, you'll want to carefully inspect, clean, and sanitize everything prior to the first use. Cleaning and sanitizing your system isn't just necessary for the health of you and your guests, but it will also have a huge role in giving your beer the best flavor possible. Any contaminants left behind from the parts manufacturing process will add unwanted flavors to your beer and negatively affect the taste of the final result.
Once your system is set up and in use, be sure to regularly inspect all of the parts frequently and replace parts as needed. Additionally, clean and disinfect your keg tap system parts every few weeks to reduce the risk of mold, yeast, or other harmful contaminants from altering the flavor of your brew and affecting the health of you and your party guests.
Home beer brewing was previously considered a lost art form, but we are seeing a big increase in the number of people who want the freedom and creativity of expression involved in brewing their own beer at home. In addition to being considered an art form to many, home beer brewing can certainly be a great conversation starter at your next party as well. But your success at brewing your own beer at home will only be as good as the quality of the keg tap system you choose.
Whether you desire to become a home beer brewing master, or you simply want to keep a variety of commercially purchased brews on tap for your next big party, you can utilize these tips to help you choose the best system to suit your needs and those of your guests.
Top Rated Keg Taps
If you're looking into finding the best rated keg tap, you should probable check out the LUCKEG Draft Beer Tower Faucet Dispenser. We looked at various sources of reviews and found this one to have the best mix between review count and average rating stars.
The Lowest Price We Could Find
Often, going for the best price is a simple but good option. With a price of $44.99 (last checked this morning), we do not list any other keg tap cheaper than the PERA 4" Party Pump. Just remember that it's not always the best option to go for the cheapest one.
The Keg Tap With the Most Reviews
With at least 115 reviews and counting, the Bev Rite Heavy Duty Complete D-System Beer Party Pump Picnic Tap might be another option to consider. This large amount of reviews signalizes that many people are using it, with most of them beeing satisfied.
High Quality Keg Taps
It's quite rare that the saying "You get what you pay for" turns out incorrect. If you have the money on the sideline, feel free to choose the most expensive item from our list: The EdgeStar KC2000SSTWIN Full Size Stainless Steel Dual Tap currently sells for $655.00.
The Keg Tap With the Most Clicks
If you trust us and our users, feel free to check out the Kegco KC KT3102W-G Tap. Our statistics say that it is the most favorite Keg Tap from the list above.
If you're still undecided, I would recommend that you go with the masses and choose the top selling keg tap: The Kegco KC KT3102W-G Tap is the hottest bestseller in this category right now.
Keg Tap Reviews
Keg Taps on Instagram
Top Posts for #kegtap
New Posts for #kegtap
Further Reading on Keg Taps
About this Article
It was last updated on 2019-06-20 08:14:29 and has been viewed 399 times.