OmmWriter Alternatives and Reviews
OmmWriter is a program designed to drown out outside distractions so users may focus on their writing. It is not designed for any type of writer in particular, so whether you need to write a report for a class, a business letter or a novel, OmmWriter's features can help you get it done.
Table of Contents
12 Alternatives to OmmWriter
Write!Description of Write! (hamstercoders.com).
FocusWriterDescription of FocusWriter (gottcode.org).
iA WriterDescription of iA Writer (informationarchitects.jp).
BywordDescription of Byword (metaclassy.com).
JotterPadDescription of JotterPad (2appstudio.com).
WriteMonkeyDescription of WriteMonkey (writemonkey.com).
Atlantis Word ProcessorDescription of Atlantis Word Processor (atlantiswordprocessor.com).
ScrivenerDescription of Scrivener (literatureandlatte.com).
CeltxDescription of Celtx (greyfirst.ca).
yWriterDescription of yWriter (spacejock.com).
TextMateDescription of TextMate (macromates.com).
VoodooPadDescription of VoodooPad (plausible.coop).
Pros & Cons of OmmWriter
- Allows for simple, distraction-free writing with a full-screen mode.
- Has more customization features than other distraction-free writing programs.
- You can choose whether to play sounds or not.
- It is available for Windows, Mac and iPad.
- It has gift options as well as an option for purchasing a group license.
- There are no distracting red and green squiggly lines that appear when you make a mistake. This allows you to focus solely on your meditative writing experience.
- It is not free. Other distraction-free writing apps are.
- It does not have spelling & grammar check.
- It does not allow for paragraph indention or text formatting.
- Some fully-featured writing programs, such as Scrivener, also provide a distraction-free option.
- The newest version, GAIA, is, as of this writing, not available for Windows. It is only available for Mac.
- It is fairly easy to exit full-screen mode to look up something on the Internet, which will pull you out of the experience.
Features of OmmWriter
- Create your own personal writing room to boost your creativity and productivity to the max.
- Use headphones to not only drown out the sounds of the outside world but also to listen to the provided soothing ambient music to help you find your zen.
- The creators of the program claim to have done extensive research and consulted with professionals to enhance the experience with the right colors and sounds to promote creativity.
OmmWriter is a very helpful minimalist writing tool for people who want to get writing done while resisting the temptation of distraction.
OmmWriter has more customization options than other distraction-free writing programs. You can select different ambient music, keystroke sounds, fonts and backgrounds to create your own private writing room. Of course, you can also turn those options off if you wish to keep the experience as basic as possible. For some people, the sounds may be very helpful, but for others they are annoying. OmmWriter lets you write the way you want to. You can change the size of the text box, the volume of the sounds and the brightness of the screen to fit your fancy as well.
OmmWriter used to only have limited export options for your text. However, the newest version allows you to save your writing in .txt, .omm, .doc and docx file formats. You may also export it in an e-mail or as a .pdf. OmmWriter itself does not allow printing.
It is not a subscription-based service, and you pay what you want for the program. The minimum amount is $4.60 for the DANA version for Windows. GAIA, the Mac version, has a minimum purchase price of $6.20.
While it cannot replace a fully-functional word processor, OmmWriter is a solid choice for a distraction-free writing program. All writers occasionally need to zone in and just write.
OmmWriter Youtube Videos
Disclaimer: This video was not made by us, but we found it interesting enough to embed it here.